Thursday, September 8, 2011

Red and White Houses

Jeannette from Australia is making houses.
She writes :
I'm sending a picture of some of the Little Red School House blocks that I have made into 10" blocks using 1"x10" logs from the Log Cabin Collection.
I printed 2 logs for each house block. One log separates the roof from the walls, the other log is cut as follows:
3.5" to separate the side wall from the front of the house and the rest of the log needs to be reduced to 1.25" wide by cutting on the dotted line on 1 side only otherwise when sewn between the gable and the rest of the roof on the angle it is too wide.
After sewing in place I trimmed it to size. The sky piece is cut 2.5"x10.5". I used 2 chimneys on the roof and the sizes for the sky pieces in between are 1 each as follows; 2.5" x 2.75", 2.5" x 3.5", 2.5" x 3.75".
I have pieced them using my machine and I have made 21 houses so far for a Quilt pattern on the cover of the Australian Patchwork and Quilting Magazine volume 8 number 7.
The blocks in the book are 12".
I am very happy with the way they are turning out and I thought may be someone else might be interested in this size as well.

Regards Jeannette Down Under.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Great looking quilt Jeannette. I am looking for a copy of Patchwork & Quilting VOL 8 No 7 with A Patch of Blue part 2. Any chance that you would share this article? Thanks. 39sewgal@gmail.com

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Very cool. A new house quilt is definitely in my future.